Tuesday, January 15, 2013

2013-03 - One Can Make a Difference



I always believed that one man could always make a difference; little did I know I will have a story to back this age long saying.

 It happened on a bright Saturday morning, which was the last for the month, which we observed the environmental sanitation exercise. 

Our compound was full of weeds and in dire need of a cutting but the challenge was who was going to bell the cat, which simply meant who was going to take the lead in cutting the weeds with five youthful men in the house.

I got a cutlass and began cutting and then the most profound thing happened. While I was cutting the other young men came out with other working implements and jumped on the bandwagon which I had earlier kick started. In minutes, the whole compound was sparkling clean. 

The older men were proud of us as; they congratulated me - their team leader on a job well done. One of them, Mr Francis of blessed memory gave me an undisclosed amount of money telling me how grateful they all were. I felt like I had been given the Medal of Freedom for I was on cloud nine. The peak of it all was when I was about stepping out my father called me and gave me even a higher denomination of money telling me that he was proud of me and I had earned it. 

"You displayed the spirit of a leader and I am proud of you" he said as I walked away with my head held high.

I would always remember that fateful Saturday when I was a living example that one man could indeed make a difference. 

~ Author Unknown
==========

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do."

~ Helen Keller

==========
 

No comments:

Post a Comment