Tuesday, April 4, 2017

2017-14 - I Wish You Enough

Speaker Bob Perks was at an airport when he overheard a father and daughter in their last moments together. They had announced her departure and standing near the security gate, they hugged and he said, "I love you. I wish you enough." She in turn said, "Daddy, your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough too."

They kissed and she left. He walked over toward the window where I was seated. "When you were saying goodbye I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?" I asked.

He smiled. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone." He paused for a moment and looking up as if trying to remember it in detail, he smiled even more."When we said 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them," and then turning toward me he shared the following from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
My friends, I wish you enough!

~ Author Unknown



The greatest wealth is to live content with little.

~ Lucretius


No comments:

Post a Comment