Tuesday, December 19, 2017

2017-51 - The Magic of Christmas

There I was, saying "There is no such thing as free lunch".

Me, down on my luck, bitter, penniless, and desolate. Standing in line... a line snaking its way on the pavement, pointing its steady head into the wide open portal of a street kitchen.

As I neared the doorway, on that Christmas eve, I saw myself surrounded by folk who were more or less in the same state of beingness as me.

In a few minutes, I was standing in front of the kitchen manager who was handing out plates and bowls to those headed to the tables laden with simple, but filling fare of bread and thick soup. Before handing me a plate, he said "Enjoy your free meal", by rote, or so I thought. I muttered back "there is no such thing as free lunch".

To my surprise, he replied, "Why not? Isn't the joy of giving without expecting anything in return simply magic?"

Stunned, I gave him my thanks... and turned towards a renewed version of my future.

~ Manoj Shriyan



The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of love and of generosity and of goodness.

~ Thomas S Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment