Tuesday, August 15, 2017

2017-33 - The Small Moments...

I have a Rewards Card for Showcase Cinema that allows me to earn rewards points with each purchase that I make at the theatre and periodically provides me with a free popcorn, soda or movie ticket coupon. I had recently accumulated enough rewards points to obtain a coupon for a free popcorn.

Standing in the movie theatre ticket line on Saturday, I noticed a father with his 2 kids waiting to buy their tickets for the Matinee. Knowing that movies can be quite expensive for families, I tapped the Dad on the shoulder and asked, "I have a coupon for free popcorn and don't plan to use it, would you like it the boys?" He said, "Yeah, sure. That's great! Thanks!" and took the coupon.

After they had purchased their tickets, one of his sons who appeared to be about 9 years old, walked up to me and silently held out a shiny penny to show me. I took it and said, "'Wow that's cool! It's really shiny!" He quietly replied, "It's a 2011".

As I handed it back to him. He pushed the penny towards me once again and quietly said, "You can keep it". Showing my gratitude, I replied, "Wow that's awesome, thank you very much" and asked, "Where did you get it!" He replied softly, "I found it in my Dad's car". I said, "Oh that's cool, thanks!"

He smiled, quietly turned and walked back to his Dad who returned my smile with a knowing smile of his own. It's the small moments like these that can make an ordinary day, special.

~ Steven L Foley




We do not remember days, we remember moments.

~ Cesare Pavese

No comments:

Post a Comment