Tuesday, January 9, 2018

2018-02 - You Are Going Places...

It was another dreary and gloomy day. I had just changed my clothes and gotten ready for work. I work at a local restaurant in town as a cashier, seater and busser.

It's the same thing over and over again. Dealing with customers who complain and whine about their food, where they are sat and how the piece of pie that they are served is too big or too small. Some days it is annoying but you just get used to it I guess. I know I have.

Three elderly ladies walked in and were seated at a booth by the windows. It happened to be the very spot near where I bus and keep the dirty dishes in the bins. I was trying to keep up with all the dirty tables, and servers running all over the house, it was crazy. But these elderly women were watching how I was busing and working really hard to make sure every table was clean and ready for the next customers.

When they were finished with their meals, I took their plates back to the kitchen. As they were leaving, they walked past me and one of them said to me in a confident and gentle voice, "You are going places." And that was it. They left the restaurant and I was pretty much in awe. I had tears in my eyes, because they gave me reason to believe in myself. They picked my spirit up from being down and out and gave me a reason to keep on working hard and to give it my all.

And the best thing is, I'm only 17 years old and I am a senior in high school.

~ Author Unknown



Follow your dreams, believe in yourself and don't give up.

~ Rachel Corrie

No comments:

Post a Comment