Tuesday, September 24, 2019

2019-39 - Should I Get Involved?

I was walking down a dimly lit street one evening when I heard muffled screams coming from behind a clump of bushes. Only yards from where I stood, a woman was being attacked.

I was frightened for my own safety. What if I became another statistic? Shouldn't I just run to the nearest phone and call the police?

Already the girl's cries were growing weaker. I knew I had to act fast. I could not turn my back on the fate of this unknown woman. I don't know where I found the moral, courage and physical strength, but once I had finally resolved to help the girl, I became strangely transformed.

I ran behind the bushes and pulled at the assailant. Grappling, we wrestled for a few minutes until the attacker jumped up and escaped. Panting hard, I scrambled upright and approached the girl. In the darkness, I could barely see her outline, but I could certainly sense her trembling shock.

Not wanting to frighten her any further, I at first spoke to her from a distance. "It's OK," I said soothingly. "The man ran away. You're safe now."

There was a long pause and then I heard the words, uttered in wonder, in amazement. "Dad, is that you?"

And then, from behind the tree, stepped my youngest daughter, Katherine.

~ Author Unknown




I am involved in mankind, and therefore never need to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

~ John Donne

No comments:

Post a Comment