Tuesday, November 5, 2019

2019-45 - Choose One Chair...

The world-renowned opera tenor Luciano Pavarotti recalls...

When I was a boy, my father, a baker, introduced me to the wonders of song. He urged me to work very hard to develop my voice. Arrigo Pola, a professional tenor in my hometown, took me on as a student. I also enrolled in a teacher's college.

As graduation was nearing I asked my father, "Shall I be a teacher or a singer?"

"Luciano," my father replied, "if you try to sit on two chairs, you will fall between them. For life, you must choose, you can only sit in one chair."

Pavarotti continues... I chose one. It took seven years of study and frustration before I made my first professional appearance. It took another seven years to reach the Metropolitan Opera.

And now I think, whether it's laying bricks, writing a book - whatever we choose - we should give ourselves completely to it. Commitment that's the key. Choose one chair."

 
~ Luciano Pavarotti




Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans.

~ Peter F Drucker


No comments:

Post a Comment