Tuesday, October 18, 2016

2016-42 - Eat dessert first...

My wonderful daughter made me a red velvet birthday cake this year. It was huge and I cut myself the biggest piece. With the first bite I closed my eyes and smiled. I savored every bite and added a few scoops of ice cream as well. My sons and I polished off every bit of it. We had followed that wise saying of a happy existence: "Life is short. Eat dessert first!"

I have spent way too many years of my life putting off the desserts I was given until everything else was done. Like far too many people in our society, I thought that work came first, duty came second, and joy was somewhere way down the list.

It took me a long time to see the simple truth that: "We work to live but we live to love."

Thankfully, I finally realized that when you put love first in your life, everything else tastes so much sweeter.

Don't put off the simple joys that life can bring. Eat dessert first!

Give your kids hugs before homework. Jump in the leaves before bagging them. Dance on the floors before sweeping them. Do random acts of kindness and goodness. Play with your dogs. Pet your cats. Watch the sunset. Shine your smile. Spread your sunshine. And share your love with everyone.

You will be amazed at how wonderful life will be when you "Live to Love" while you "Work to live."

~ Joseph Mazzella



Simply enjoy life and the great pleasures that come with it.

~ Karolina Kurkova
 

No comments:

Post a Comment