Tuesday, February 4, 2020

2020-06 - Perseverance

When he was still a young man, Beethoven decided to compose a few improvisations on a music by Pergolesi. He devoted months to this task and finally had the courage to publish it.

A critic wrote a full page review in a German newspaper in which he launched a ferocious attack on the music. Beethoven, however, was quite unshaken by his comments.

When his friends pressed him to respond to the critic, he merely said: "All I need to do is to carry on with my work. If the music I compose is as good as I think it is, then it will survive that journalist. If it has the depth I hope it has, it will survive the newspaper too. Should the people love it, I shall achieve immortality."

Beethoven was absolutely right.

Over a hundred years later, that same composition was played by a radio station in São Paulo.

~ Author Unknown




Perseverance is a great element of success.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment