Tuesday, May 30, 2017

2017-22 - More Smiles...

The other day, I found myself shuffling along Faneuil Hall in Boston, side-stepping the crowd that converged around a clown providing a comedy routine. I was feeling rather low this day. Maybe the bumper-to-bumper traffic had something to do with my disposition but it certainly could have been better than what I was showing. In fact, it was more of a frown than a happy face.

"Did you drop something?" a voice gushed out of the clear blue. I looked around to see who it belonged to and it happened to be the clown. I didn't know where to turn and instinctively glanced at the pavement below. The clown looked at me and said, "You dropped your smile."

I may have ignored him but since others were watching, I decided to play his game. I reached to the ground and picked up a handful of air, putting it smack dab on my face. In place of the grimace, appeared that all elusive smile. To tell you the truth, it took a clown's quip to change my mood and set me on my merry way.

Not enough people, myself included, are smiling these days. We're living in a serious world where laughter and levity are foregone conclusions these days.

So, here's the deal, folks. If a yawn can take on a contagious effect, perhaps the same is true of a smile. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people smile, perhaps it will cause a ripple effect. Not only that, but curious people will be wondering what there is to be smiling about and you can tell them this. "You're not fully dressed without a smile."

I dropped my smile that day in Boston and a clown reminded me to pick it off the ground. My disposition changed in a nanosecond and I suddenly wore a happy face.

~ Tom Vartabedian



We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.

~ Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment